Today I started reading Eric Evans book about domain driven design which I feel is a must for any serious software engineer.
A few quotes from chapter 2 which is mostly about a ubiquitous language:
The vital detail about the design is captured on the code.
A document shouldn’ try to do what the code already does well.
If documents are written at all (see Extreme Programming):
Documents should work for a living and stay current (I have never been a friend of paper work!).
A few days ago I finally received the DVD set for the JavaPolis 2006 one of the coolest Java conferences.
It’s one of the conferences with the highest return on invest. High quality sessions with renown speakers and crowd from all over the world. And the best they publish some of their talks as synched video + slides online at Parleys and on top of that you can buy all of the talks on DVD.
See you there again for JavaPolis 2007.
Encoding is a pretty troubling topic if not care is taken! So you better make sure which settings your favourite IDE is using. Typically UTF-8 is the most flexible ! Here is a short summary how to set it up for eclipse.
- For a global encoding setting add
- For setting the encoding on a per workspace basis, use Preferences->General->Workspace!
- To set the encoding on a per project basis us the tip as documented here. Or shortly open project properties and change to UTF-8
The last one I guess should be the preferred as it does not rely on individual developers to setup their IDE properly, the settings are stored locally with the project.
I have always had problems with Maven2 and localized project web sites resulting in incorrect display of special characters (like german umlaut etc.). There are many posts regarding this with none really providing solutions.
Today I did a retry and set up a project site driven by apt documents and a
site.xml containing special characters. Here is what I think made it working:
- Set the IDE encoding to UTF-8
- All site documents (including site.xml) are UTF-8 encoded.
- Configure the maven-site-plugin to accept and produce UTF-8
- Set the system property file.encoding (e.g. set MAVEN_OPTS=-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8) before calling the mvn command
maven-site-plugin 2.0-SNAPSHOT en utf-8 utf-8
Still I’m struggling with the translations of the menu items provided by the
maven-site-plugin which are still not ok! But I’m confident to solve this soon.